Research was conducted into the Blue Mountains Firewatch and Recovery Facebook group during 2014 and 2015. The research consists of:
- Executive Summary, Evaluation and Operational plan that examine in detail how the group operated both during the October 2013 fires, and in the year afterwards. Relevant literature around social media and emergencies was used to show that this Facebook group acted to increase resiliance in the Blue Mountains Community. An operational plan was developed with several suggestions. Recommendations were made, drawing on the previous work, to make the group sustainable in the long-term.
- Appendix A: Evaluation screenshots – these show specific examples of the various aspects of the Blue Mountains Firewatch and Recovery Facebook group functions.
- Appendix B: Group documents – these are the various documents used by both Firewatch and Recovery groups to guide members. Each was developed by the volunteer admins and provide a useful example for other groups to use.
- Appendix C: Stakeholder engagement report – interviews with stakeholders – a range of groups, including the RFS and the local Council, were interviewed.
- Appendix D: Surveys – both group members and the voluntary admins were surveyed.